Please like this page!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

We make it to the hospital...

So we make it to the hospital around 7am and we walk up to the labor and delivery unit. Actually, I waddle along behind Jake and have to make a pit stop to pee before we even make it up there (I'm pretty sure during my last trimester I was in the bathroom every 30 minutes, no joke). As I'm peeing, I can tell that it still isn't all just urine again. I didn't even bother to look this time...I was focused on getting up to the labor and delivery unit ASAP. After checking in at the desk I'm admitted to what amounts to a holding room. Because I couldn't actually tell if my water broke all the way, I was submitted to being poked, prodded, hooked up to machines and forced to pee (ok, not forced, I had to go again already) to see what my condition was- labor or something going wrong were the options. When I came out of the bathroom with my urine sample, the nurse took one look at it and said "oh hun, you ARE in labor!"- apparently I was experiencing the "bloody show". Yea, google it...it isn't pleasant. The weird part was I didn't feel any pain or anything for that matter. The nurse checked one of the screens I was hooked up to and said I was "really cranking out" the contractions but didn't feel anything. I was relieved- if this is labor, it's gonna be a breeze! Ha ha ha...good grief I was so stupid.

Around 8am, a doctor comes in, and it isn't MY doctor. She informs me that my doctor had just come off the night shift, and wouldn't be back on duty til Sunday. I felt comfortable with this doctor, Dr. Khalek, from the get-go though. She said she was going to do an exam to see what was going on.

8:15am- I'm screaming in pain and crying after the exam, and soaking wet. Apparently my cervix is set far behind my pelvic bone and this exam consisted of this doctor trying to find my cervix. It felt like she was moving my lady parts around by digging, and when she shined the light on me down there, she said "yep, your water has ruptured" (at least I think that's what she said, I was crying so hard I'm not sure). After she showed the nurse my ruptured water, she continued the exam, continued digging, and then...a feeling like a water balloon had popped inside me and the bed floods. Dr. Khalek goes "yep, there it is, your water officially broke."

9am- admitted into a labor & delivery room.

No comments:

Post a Comment